Sadhana Tool Kit
Sadhana preparation begins the night before:
- Eat early, at least three hours before going to sleep. Yogi Bhajan recommended that we finish eating before the sun goes down. This will allow you to rest during your sleep rather than to be digesting your food.
- Clear your thoughts and projects of the day. It is important to take a few minutes to review the day and feel complete with yourself. You can create a list for tomorrow, but today is complete.
- Brush your teeth and the root of your tongue
- Comb your hair down with wooden comb
- Drink Water. It is important not to go to bed thirsty.
- Run cold water over your feet or soak them in cold water. This prepares your nervous system for a good rest.
- Meditate or recite Kirtan Sohila. Shabd Kriya is a wonderful meditation to do before sleep.
How to get up in the Morning
“When you wake, tell yourself you are bountiful, blissful and beautiful:
Bountiful-when you know your soul
Blissful – neither pain nor pleasure affects you
Beautiful – in adversity you speak the language of prosperity.
“Do you think to give thanks for your arms and legs? Your eyes and ears? In those moments as you come out of the sleep state, acknowledge how wonderful is this vehicle the Creator manufactured for you to use during your visit to the planet Earth”
Yogi Bhajan, Kundalini Yoga: The Flow of Eternal Power, pg 115 Shakti Parwha Khalsa
How to Get up
- Keep your eyes closed and stretch your arms way up and back over your head. Take a few breaths and stretch your spine.
- Cat Stretch – eyes still closed
- Put your palms over your eyes and slowly open your eyes, looking into the palms of your hands. Slowly, while still gazing at your palms, move your palms away from your eyes until they are about 18 inches above your face. This allows the optic nerve to adjust.
- Bring your fingertips down and massage your forehead from the center out to the temples, down both sides of the face to the tip of your chin. Next massage your nose and ears, squeeze your nostrils and your ear lobes. Take a few long deep breaths.
- Stretch pose 1 minute with breath of fire. Relax 15 seconds.
- Nose to knees – 1 minute with breath of fire
- With your knees tightly clasped to your chest, turn briefly onto your right side and rest for a minute or two. This strengthens your heart.
- Come sitting up. 1-3 minutes of ego eradicator with breath of fire.
The Amazing Cold Shower
To set yourself for Sadhana and stimulate your nervous system, next on the agenda is the cold shower- Ishnaan. “Ishnaan is when the body by its own virtue creates the temperature that it can beat off the coldness of the water. There is a whole grace to it.” The Aquarian Teacher, page 248
“Medically, there is no medicine in the world to open up the capillaries other than the cold shower. In the morning when the sun is hitting the earth at a sixty degree angle, take a cold shower. Then, dry yourself, cover yourself with warm blanket, and meditate. The blood comes into all the organs to feed them and make them strong. On the outside, your skin is beautiful. On the inside, your body is active and youthful.” Siri Singh Sahib Yogi Bhajan 4/24/97
First massage your body with oil. Almond oil is recommended because it nourishes the cells. The oil will be absorbed by the skin and you will not feel greasy. It is also recommended that you put on shorts or long underwear to cover the calcium-producing thighs from the cold.
The cold water will bring the blood from deep within you to the outer layers of the skin to make you warm. This is wonderful for the lymphatic system and the immune system. “The heart, kidney, lungs, liver – each organ has its own blood supply. In this way the organs get flushed. When the organs get a flushing, then immediately the glands have to change their secretion. It is a law. And when the glands, which are the guardians of health and life, change, youth returns. “ The Aquarian Teacher, pg 248
As you go in and out of the cold streaming water be sure to massage your entire body – be sure to get your armpits and the insides of your thighs. It is important for women to massage their breasts. This is your first great success of the day.
Next drink at least one glass of water before you go to Sadhana.
Put on clean and comfortable loose-fitting preferably white clothes, cover your head, grab your sheepskin or mat and shawl and off to Group Sadhana you go. It is important that you do not wear the same garments that you wore to bed, for you want to tell your consciousness that Sadhana is a special activity that you prepare and dress for.
Yogi Bhajan on Group Sadhana
Doing Sadhana in a group develops group consciousness. At the beginning of Sadhana everyone has a different vibration. Some have traces of dreams; others are already filled with concerns for the day; and still others come with different expectations about Sadhana. The more people there are, the more these individual differences balance out and create a harmony. The happiness of one person balances the sadness of another. Then the entire group finds its energy directed by the activity of the Sadhana itself. The individual auras merge and form a group aura. When the group is well-tuned to the Infinite, a rainbow aura forms that reflects all colors. A bluish color of sincerity and devotion predominates. The auric transformation aids the practitioner in making the step beyond ego centeredness. AT pg 146
By the end of the morning Sadhana, when everyone’s energy has intermingled and merged, it is easy to communicate and be on the same wave length. We experience this effect throughout the day. There will be fewer misunderstandings in the area of communication.
Sadhana – The Ultimate Approach to Change
All these changes that you are seeing in your personality did not happen because you got counseled, or your teacher was great. You all changed because you wanted to change and you did Sadhana. Sadhana changed you. All this other stuff is being done to keep you going. The ultimate approach is when you want to change, and you do Sadhana. Then you will change. Yogi Bhajan , AT, pg. 149
Overcoming the duality of the mind
Yogi Bhajan:”When I tell you to get up and meditate in the ambrosial hours, it seems odd. Why should you get up at 3:30 am? Because you require those two hours to work out your own mind, so that the rest of the day you can work out your life. Amrit vela naam jaap. Rise in the ambrosial hours and meditate. Whenever your mind will be in duality, you will be in trouble. There is no way to function”
The Aquarian Teacher pg. 148
“All for One, and One for All”
“YOUR BODY IS THE TEMPLE OF GOD, and your soul is the Divine Guru within. So, you get up in the morning, meditate, chant the mantras, do the exercises, call on your spirit, regulate the breath, and you get together in group consciousness. In that way you help each other. Group consciousness in morning
sadhana is to help each other. If I am trying to sleep, another is not sleeping. If in this whole group, one person opens up to God just once, we will all be blessed in his openness. That is what matters. If one has walked into Sadhana with heart and soul in a prayerful mind, we will all benefit. That is the power of the group sadhana. All should participate. But, we still have something of the past in us. We bring up worries about who should lead. “Oh, that leader has brought a very good sadhana! That one has freaked out the sadhana.” The truth is that nobody freaked out the sadhana, and nobody made it beautiful. It
is the Will of God which prevails through the soul. When you are a servant, and act as a channel, it prevails through you. If in morning sadhana one cannot curtail the barriers and get to Oneness, I don’t think there is any other time it can happen. All for one, and one for all. That is the principle. “
IF YOU MUST DO SADHANA BY YOURSELF, then while you are chanting, imagine a million others all around you. Hear them all chanting, with you in the middle not moving at all. Feel that you do not chant physically and yet are leading the chant and letting the chant lead you. As you imagine this, continue chanting. AT, page 143
Aquarian Sadhana Mantras: Life’s daily journey through Sadhana
Awaken! Become still. Receive and hold the gift of ‘God and me, me and God are one’. Live in that self-confident reality as a timeless, deathless being. Sit protected in meditative fulfillment. Master the mind. Establish the Self for victory. Serve through action, guided by Guru.
Submitted and assembled by SS Sangeet Kaur Khalsa, Espanola, New Mexico